Here’s a list of possible ways I’ve thought of or heard to fund government, without the government initiating force to collect taxes:
- Fees for government enforcement of contracts. This was Ayn Rand’s idea.
- A lottery.
- If a court finds a party at fault in a civil judgment, it collects a small fee from that party to help pay court costs.
- Courts impose fines on those who are convicted of misdemeanors and felonies.
- Imprisoned convicts work and help maintain prisons in order to receive food and luxuries above a bare minimum to keep them alive. The best-behaved might work on/maintain other government buildings.
- A small annual fee might be required for someone to maintain citizenship. Non-citizens would still be protected by the government in its jurisdiction, but would not be able to vote for government officials, and wouldn’t receive US government protection when traveling internationally.
These are, of course, in addition to any straight donations, which Yaron Brook discusses in this video:
Feel free to leave any other ideas in the comments.